9 February, 2018
Crockpot Tonight – Chicken Delight – Enchilada Soup
Busy day? Want something warm and tasty to serve for dinner? This recipe might be just what you’re looking for and is relatively fuss-free.
Every once in a while we get a craving for Mexican food. Growing up in Southern California, Mexican food was abundant, Mexican restaurants were popular, and ingredients were easy to find in local grocery stores. My hubby grew up in New York back in the 60’s so he didn’t even know what Mexican food was until he moved to the West coast. Spending his college years in Arizona converted him to a Mexican food lover.
Cooking Mexican food is not my strength, but this recipe is so easy, all I had to do was open a few cans of beans, tomatoes and corn, and then add chicken and spices. In fact, you can put the ingredients together in about the time it takes to listen to a Zumba dance song. Zumba dancing while mixing ingredients is optional. 😉
This recipe makes a large amount of soup and freezes well. Tip: If you are planning on freezing a portion of this recipe, do so before you add the heavy cream. Add the cream when you defrost and rewarm.
Recipe was flavorful and good, but I just couldn’t get over the fact that the soup tasted like enchilada (duh!). In my head I thought it should have tasted like chili because it had so many of the same ingredients. 😉
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (19 oz) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (28 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thirds
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic minced
- Sour cream, for serving
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Sliced lime, for serving
- Crushed tortilla chips, for serving
- Combine onion, spices, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, beans, corn, chicken and broth in the crockpot.
- Stir together to combine all ingredients. Set on high and cook for 3 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and shred. Return the chicken to the crockpot and stir in cheese and cream.
- Change temp to low and stir until cheese is melted.
- When serving, top with sour cream, cilantro, crushed chips, more cheddar and a slice of lime if desired.
- I didn't like how the cheese melted in the ingredients in the crockpot. It was too gooey and hard to dish up - melted cheese strings and such. But if you like that - go for it. Next time I'll just add the cheese on top when serving the soup - a little easier and neater.