3 October, 2016
End of Summer Salad
The freshly grown fruits and vegetables of summer are almost gone. It is October after all. So what do you do with the garden dregs this time of the year? A few leftover cucumbers, tomatoes, celery…..
I love salads and eat them almost daily. A nice “end of harvest” salad is what I made for lunch recently.
- Small bunch of tomatoes (I used orange cherry tomatoes, you could use any variety)
- 1/4 Cucumber (I grow regular cucumbers, could use any variety)
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Tablespoon red onion thinly sliced and chopped
- Sprinkle of Blue cheese chunks (or your favorite cheese)
- Olive oil & vinegar
- I don't have exact measurements for this recipe as the proportions are based on the ingredients at hand.
- Dress with oil and vinegar or use your favorite salad dressing from the grocery store.
What’s great about this salad is that you can use any ingredients you have in your garden. Earlier this summer, I made it with blueberries, snap peas, and broccoli. This year is the first time I tried growing broccoli. It matured nicely and had a wonderful flavor!