21 December, 2016
On The Fourth Day Before Christmas
Forget the partridge in a pear tree, maids a milking, and golden rings (although a gold or silver ring under the tree would be okay). Let’s talk dinner!
On the tenth day before Christmas my true love said to me,
What appetizers will we be having on Christmas?
My answer: an antipasti plate with Italian meats and cheeses, warmed olives and Marconi almonds.
On the ninth day before Christmas my true love said to me,
What are you planning for the main dish Christmas dinner?
My answer: Rib roast, parmesan potato stacks, and Yorkshire pudding.
On the eighth day before Christmas my true love said to me,
Well then what will the primo dish be?
My answer: lasagna rolls made with homemade pasta and ricotta
On the seventh day before Christmas my true love said to me,
What are you planning for a salad?
My answer: Insalata Di Arance E Origano (orange salad with oregano)
On the sixth day before Christmas my true love said to me,
Will we be having a vegetable with our Christmas dinner?
My answer: Our guests are bringing the vegetable and visions of sugar plums just danced out of his head.
And on the fourth day before Christmas I SAID TO MY TRUE LOVE,
Here is the rib roast recipe for you.
You WILL be helping me as sous chef and clean up, right?
- 1 5-6 pound beef rib roast at room temperature
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary finely chopped leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves chopped
- few sprigs fresh marjoram finely chopped leaves
- 1 head garlic, tops cut off to expose the cloves
- 1 stick of butter softened
- Olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle the garlic with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil (or put in garlic roaster) and roast until tender and caramel in color, about 40 minutes.
- Remove garlic from oven, leaving it on and reducing the temperature to 325 degrees.
- When cooled, squeeze the roasted garlic into a bowl and mash the garlic to a paste.
- Add butter, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper to garlic.
- Coat the rib roast with the herb butter and stand it up on a roasting pan.
- Cook until it reaches 125-130 degrees on the meat thermometer (for medium rare), 2 1/4 hours.
- Remove and let rest, covered with foil and a kitchen towel for 1 hour.
- Carve and serve with horseradish sauce.