17 October, 2016
The Last of This Season’s Vegetables
Thank goodness I have friends who have an overabundance of zucchini from their summer gardens. I’m probably the only dedicated home gardener that can’t seem to grow it in Oregon. So I rely on friends to share their surplus. Most have pulled their summer vegetable plants now that it’s mid-October and found a zucchini or two hiding in the vines. As the recipient of a few, here’s what I cooked up along with the last few of my tomatoes and pepper. A quick side dish.
- • 1 large zucchini sliced or chopped
- • 4-5 small to medium sized garden tomatoes • sliced or chopped
- • 1/2 onion chopped
- • 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- • Optional: 1 small pepper or sprinkle of pepper flakes if you like your food kicked up a notch
- • Seasonings (I used a fresh sprig or two of oregano & thyme)
- • olive oil
- • Salt & pepper to taste
- Sauté onions in olive oil for a few minutes. Add zucchini, tomatoes, pepper, garlic, and seasonings.
- Cook until vegetables are tender or crisp if you prefer.
- Top with shaved or grated parmesan cheese.