Who doesn’t like a nut occasionally? Well, according to an old Almond Joy commercial “Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t.” When you do, here are a few of my favorite snack and appetizer nut recipes.They are packed with protein, and tasty. These recipes also make great gifts to for the holidays!
I was first introduced to this recipe by our friend Mike (a great cook who makes out-of-this-world soups). I like the Barefoot Contessa’s ingredients best. Great to take to a party, serve as an appetizer or snack.
- • 1 pound roasted unsalted cashews
- • 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- • 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Spread the cashews out on a sheet pan. Toast in oven preheated to 350° about 5 minutes.
- Combine rosemary, cayenne, sugar, salt, and butter in a large bowl.
- Toss the warm cashews with the spiced butter and serve warm. Also good next day at room temperature.
- Also good next day at room temperature.
A great nut recipe for fall. Original recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. Good for gift-giving too!
- • 4 cups whole unbalanced almonds (or mixed nuts)
- • 1 egg white
- • 1 teaspoon water
- • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- • 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- • ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread almonds in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325. Grease large baking sheet and set aside. Whisk egg white and water until frothy. Stir in granulated sugar, brown sugar pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stir in cooled nuts. Spread mixture in a single layer in greased pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes – until nuts appear dry, stirring once halfway through baking. Transfer nuts to waxed paper; separate into pieces or small clusters. Completely cool.
- Place almonds in tightly covered decorative containers for gifts. Makes 5 ½ cups.
So while you are watching a pre-Christmas classic movie Mixed Nuts you can be cooking up spiced mixed nuts for your own enjoyment or gifts.
Hope you have a nutty day!