TV commercials that focus on food are the worst for me. I watch it, crave it, want to make it. This week bran muffins were showing up and after some contemplation, I realized I hadn’t made or eaten bran muffins in years, like 15 or 16 years. What’s up with that? They used to be one of my favorite muffins.
It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what I would be baking today. These bran muffins are easy to make, contain healthy ingredients, and are only 125 calories per muffin.
What I love about this recipe is that it starts with bran flakes cereal. We usually have a box of raisin bran in the cupboard so it’s a twofer for me – bran and raisins. The recipe originally measured the bran flakes and the raisins separately, but I was too lazy to separate the raisins from the bran in the cereal so I just measured them together (2 1/4 cups cereal instead of 2 cups bran and 1/4 cup raisins).
Big Fan of These Bran Muffins
You can substitute pure maple syrup, honey, or agave for molasses
Let muffins cool before pulling off the liners.
- 2 1/4 cups raisin bran flakes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tbsp molasses*
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- PREP: Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 12-muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Soak raisin bran flakes in milk for about a half an hour.
- Combine the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and add the bran flakes. It will form a thick batter.
- Spoon ingredients into the muffin tins, and bake on the center rack for 20-22 minutes.