Most of us try to avoid blots in our life or forget the ones we already have. However, here’s a blot you’ll want – it’s BLOT salad. The B.L.O.T. stands for Bacon, Lettuce, Onion, and Tomato. Technically, there are five main ingredients in this salad – avocado being the fifth, but if you add the initial “A” to the acronym it would be BLOAT and I don’t think that would be an appetizing name for any dish, do you? So while the avocado has an important part in this recipe, I’m sure you understand why I left it out of the acronym.
The challenge for me when making a salad is to keep it simple. I can easily get carried away adding extra ingredients. These five ingredients made a perfect salad.
Use one-half of the avocado for the salad dressing and one-half for the chopped salad ingredients.
Salad dressing ingredients before mixing together.
Salad dressing mixed and ready to serve.
Salad and dressing served.
Salad is so tasty it doesn’t need dressing. I was halfway through eating my salad before I realized I hadn’t added the dressing. So dressing or no dressing, the choice is yours.
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 tomato, seeded and coarsely cubed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 medium avocado, cubed
- 1 slices cooked bacon, coarsely chopped (I used turkey bacon)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons low fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
NOTE: Avocado dressing makes 1 1/2 cups so there will be leftover dressing. I found many uses for the extra dressing besides salads. For example I used it to drizzle over cooked salmon and some to spread on a hamburger. Per serving: Calories: 228; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 7mg; Sodium: 239mg; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 12g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 8g Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 1359mg;
2 thoughts on “BLOT Salad For Two”