Breakfast – a somewhat controversial meal – to eat it or skip it? Health experts and enthusiasts recommend eating breakfast – advising that our bodies need some nourishment to start our day.
Even on the busiest of days, I make an effort to have something for breakfast. But then, those of you who know me, know I love food, so it’s not a big effort. 😉
Need a quick breakfast? Here are a few suggestions. These recipes are written for one serving, however, can easily be adjusted for a family.
One of my favorites – Sicilian Ricotta Toast. I first experienced this delicious breakfast treat in Taormina, Sicily. I was told that this is a popular breakfast in the area. Orange honey is favored there I’m thinking because of the abundance of citrus available. It was so yummy!
Picture below is my contribution to morning coffee with girlfriends.
Egg White Fry – Yes, egg whites! If you are trying to avoid eating too many whole eggs, this is a flavorful, quick, and healthy breakfast. We have variations of this dish about once a week, using up small amounts of vegetables and meat from other meals. This day we had sausage and spinach to use with our egg whites.
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
- 1-2 tablespoons cooked spinach and onion
- 1-2 tablespoons sausage, bacon or ham, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Drizzle olive oil in fry pan.
- Pour egg whites into heated pan - let set for a minute.
- Add in layers - spinach, meat or your choice, and top with cheese.
- Cover pan and let egg completely set - about a minute or two.
- Serve with salsa.
- Recipe can be adjusted to use whatever you have in your fridge or your taste preferences.
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 1 piece of bread - toasted
- 1/2 tomato sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chopped basil
- Toast bread.
- Layer sliced avocado, tomato and egg on top of bread.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast bread.
- Mix together finely chopped egg and smashed avocado. Spread onto toasted bread.
- Top with sliced tomato and basil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.