Chocolate and espresso are two of my favorite ingredients to pair in recipes. So I figured these bars just had to be good, right? Not only do they give you energy, they are actually on the healthier side of the energy bar scale, and taste great. So I had to try them of course!
It’s a perfect size bar to take to the gym for after a workout, or have handy when you need a quick pick-me-up. Oh, and did I mention they are gluten-free? And, there’s no cooking or baking involved.
This recipe is so easy, it’s just a matter of mixing ingredients in a food processor and freezing for a few hours. The hardest part was waiting for the mixture to set up before cutting into bars and taste testing.
Run all ingredients through the food processor to break into small bits.
Press into baking dish, then freeze.
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/3 cup regular rolled oats
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, heaping
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate
- In a food processor process cashews and oats until chopped.
- Add dates, maple syrup, espresso powder and salt. Process until mixture resembles cookie dough.
- Then add walnuts and chocolate, process until combined.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, extending over two sides of the pan. Place mixture in pan and press evenly into the pan.
- Cover with plastic and freeze 4 hours.
- When done, cut into 2 inch bars.