14 September, 2018
Chop’in Broccoli, Chop’in Brocco-la, Chop’in Brocco-laaa Soup
Are you familiar with the song that Dana Carvey sang called “The Lady I Know?” For some reason that song was rolling around in my head as I was creating this recipe. It’s really a spoof of a song and mainly just repeats the lyrics “Chop’in broccoli.” Most people think of the song as the “Chop’in broccoli” song. In case you are not familiar with it, here is a link to Dana Carvey performing it with an orchestra. Chop’in broccoli
Now that we’ve had a little humor for the day, we can turn our attention to this simple broccoli soup recipe. And yes, you will have to do a little “chop’in broccoli” to make it.
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar (divided)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- bacon bits to garnish
- Garlic herb salt
- Saute onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Melt butter in the same pan, adding flour to form a rue (mixture will clump up).
- Whisk in the milk to create the sauce. Essentially you have made a cream sauce.
- Add the chopped broccoli and cook for a few minutes. If you like your broccoli crisp, keep an eye on it so it doesn't get mushy.
- Add one-half of the shredded cheese and melt in.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and garlic herb blend (optional) and taste test. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Before serving, drizzle a spoonful of cream, cheese, and bacon bits to garnish soup.
There’s nothing quite as satisfying as a warm bowl of soup on a cold day. Many turn to their childhood favorites of tomato soup, served with a grilled cheese sandwich of course. No arguments here, that is still a top pick for my hubby. This broccoli cheese soup is so easy and tasty though you may have to add it to your top picks.