An invitation to a summer afternoon gathering gave me an opportunity to create a new appetizer recipe. The zucchini isn’t quite ready to pick from our garden yet (or I would have chosen one of the recipes from my new cookbook “From Vine to Table: The Unexpected Joy of Zucchini’s Magic“) However, the gardens this time of year are overflowing with lettuces and greens. I chose spinach to be the highlight of this recipe boosted with flavors from garlic and a variety of cheeses.
Let’s get started!
Fresh spinach and thinly sliced garlic.
Sautéed in olive oil.
Spinach mixed with cheeses.
Pizza dough. You can use store bought pizza dough or make your own. I used Bobby Flay’s quick method pizza dough recipe for this appetizer. No need to proof the yeast – just mix ingredients together, let it rest/rise and then roll it out. Here is the link to his recipe: Pizza Dough.
Lay the spinach mixture down the middle of the dough and slice pieces to overlap.
Brush with olive oil and bake.
Pinch crushed oregano and/or basil leaves over the top of the spinach ring.
I served the spinach ring with my homemade tomato sauce. Sauce recipes: Crockpot Sauce and Top Secret Sauce. One recipe is an easy crockpot method and the other is a 2-day method of making sauce, both are good.
You could use about any type of dip, or no dipping sauce at all. Good served hot out of the oven, or at room temperature.
- 1 prepared pizza dough* (purchase or make your own. See notes.)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 3-4 cups of fresh spinach
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon basil & oregano chopped fine as garnish topping
- PREP: heat oven to 450 degrees.
- If using a purchased pizza dough, let warm at room temperature. If making pizza dough, do so first and let rise while making the other ingredients.
- Saute garlic in a large frypan over medium heat. When garlic starts to turn, remove oil from the pan and set aside.
- Add spinach to the pan and cook until wilted.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir cream cheese, parmesan and feta cheeses together. Add spinach to cheeses and mix.
- Roll out dough on parchment paper to about 18 X 8 inch rectangle. Spoon spinach mixture down the center of the dough.
- Cut tabs on both sides of the dough about 1 1/2 inches long and 1/2 to 3/4 inch apart. Fold tabs over filling, pinching together to seal. Shape into a ring and pinch ends together.
- Lift spinach ring with parchment paper to a baking sheet. Brush half of of the saved oil over the top of the dough. Sprinkle bits of oregano and basil.
- Cook until browned (18-20 minutes). Brush with remaining oil.
- *Purchase at the store or make your own. I used Bobby Flay's recipe which is quick and easy https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe-1921714
- **I would have used ricotta cheese in place of the cream cheese if I had some on hand. I may try using it the next time I make this recipe.