Springtime awakens the earth and brings out the beauty of nature. The harsh winter weather has faded so gastronomic delights have shifted from heavy stews to lighter fare. The ingredients in these Greek Chicken Quesadillas are essentially Greek salad fixings wrapped up in a tortilla and can be eaten hot or cold.
I tried this recipe both ways, and each achieved top marks.
COLD: I love salads of every kind, and eat them most days of the year. However, sometimes I would like something a little different, yet with all the healthy ingredients that a salad contains. So I make a salad and wrap it in a tortilla – easy peasy.
HOT: There are chilly days in fall, winter, and spring where I’d like to eat something light, but warm. Voila! The grilled Greek Chicken Quesadilla was conceived.
Feel free to experiment with variations. Crisp a tortilla (in the oven or fry pan) as a base and top with salad ingredients for a Greek ensalada con tortilla (Greek salad with a tortilla). Or, crisp a tortilla and cut into triangle chips and top with salad ingredients for Greek salad nachos. Or come up with your own version.
So on this warm/cool spring day, weather not being able to quite make up its mind, I decided to make the grilled version of this recipe and I’m glad I did! The crisp tortilla filled with luscious Greek salad ingredients was divine! Perfect for a spring day picnic on the deck.
Start with flour tortillas, white or whole wheat – your choice.
Sprinkle pre-cooked chicken on one-half of the tortilla.
Start layering ingredients on top of the chicken and feta cheese.
A light drizzle of a good balsamic vinegar and olive oil brings out the flavors of the vegetables.
Grilled for a few minutes on each side warms the ingredients.
This quesadilla actually turns out pretty big (even though the size of the tortilla is only 7-8 inches) so it could be shared with others and/or complement a bowl of soup for lunch or dinner.
- • 4 flour tortillas, 7-8 inches (whole wheat or white)
- • 1 cup cubed or shreaded roasted chicken (I used a Costco chicken)
- • 1/2 cup feta cheese
- • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- • 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- • 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- • 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- • 2 tablespoons whole flat leaf (Italian) parsley leaves
- • 1 tablespoon whole fresh oregano leaves (Greek, Spanish or Italian variety)
- • Sprinkle garlic and herb seasoning, salt and pepper
- • Drizzle balsamic vinegar and good quality olive oil over assembled ingredients (or bottled Greek vinaigrette dressing if you prefer)
- • Nonstick cooking spray
- • 1 Avocado thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- Yogurt Sauce
- • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- • Sprinkle salt and black pepper to season to taste
- Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place tortillas, sprayed sides down, on a cutting board or parchment paper.
- Load ingredients on one-half of tortilla (chicken, feta cheese, red onion, cucumber, tomato, olives, parsley, and oregano).
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil (or vinaigrette dressing).
- Fold each tortilla in half, pressing gently.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Cook quesadillas, two at a time, over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until light brown, turning once. Remove quesadillas from skillet when feta cheese is starting to melt.
- Cut each quesadilla into wedges.
- OPTIONAL: Yogurt Sauce
- In a small bowl combine yogurt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Dollop yogurt sauce on top of quesadillas.