Anyone remember that saying? Hamburgers are Popeye’s cartoon friend Wimpy’s all-time favorite food. His best-known catchphrase started in 1931 as, “Cook me up a hamburger. I’ll pay you Thursday.” In 1932, this then became the famous, “I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.”
You don’t have to pay anyone for this hamburger recipe!
Let me just start by saying that we shop Costco for some of our meats, poultry, and fish items. So when we bring home a 6 pound package of ground beef, it can be a bit overwhelming for some, but I love the challenge – what to do with 6 pounds of hamburger meat?
This week I made meatballs with one pound, meatloaf with another pound, and the rest was made into hamburgers. I like to make up about a dozen at a time (package them in twos) and have them in the freezer ready to cook at any time. This week I made Gorgonzola (blue cheese) Burgers. If you don’t like blue cheese, you can substitute whatever cheese you like cheddar, Swiss, etc.
- • 4 pounds ground beef
- • 2 eggs
- • 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- • 2 garlic cloves minced
- • 1/4 cup onion minced or finely chopped
- • Gorgonzola, blue cheese or cheese of your choice
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Mix everything together except the Gorgonzola. (Use your hands for best incorporation of all the ingredients.)
- Form into thin patties. (Remember 2 patties will make 1 burger.)
- Top half the patties with 1-2 tablespoons of Gorgonzola.
- Lay a 2nd patty on top and press firmly to make one burger. Make sure to seal all the edges around the patty.
- Freeze or refrigerate for an hour before cooking.
- Divide this recipe in half or quarters if you only want to make a few burgers at a time.