26 July, 2016
This year’s travel plans for Italy are getting a few tweaks before we head out for our 2016 adventures. Here is our general itinerary:
Fly into Firenze and stay at BNB in town for a couple of days. We have a few activities on our agenda while we are there.
- One highlight is a visit Il Teatre del Sale for a fun evening of food and Italian Opera. Girls in Florence described an evening at the restaurant and live theater. We tried to attend on our last visit to Firenze, but a booking of the entire facility cancelled our reservations. We’ll look forward to sharing our experiences with you this year.
- Another must see this year is Maria Giovanna Cimino’s ceramic shop M G Designs. We spent hours in her shop last time and look forward to seeing Maria and her beautiful artwork again. Dick will be leaving our Euros at the hotel that day I’m sure.
- We’ll be stopping into the Rowing Club, Canottieri Firenze for a drink or perhaps lunch one day. It is located on the Arno River below the Ponte Vecchio. It has great views of both from the bar. Guess where we will be camped out?
- The rest of the time in Firenze we’ll be popping our heads into lesser known museums and art galleries to soak up more of the culture this beautiful city has to offer.
Volterra is the next major destination. We’ll be renting a car in Firenze and driving down to Volterra. It will be especially important that you hear from us during that time to make sure we live through this driving experience. Even though we have rented a car each time we go to Italy, it is always a challenge to get on the right auto strada going the right way and read the road signs in between. Let’s not forget we have to do this at 90+ miles an hour to keep up with traffic. So, if you don’t hear from us for a few days, do check in to make sure we aren’t going in circles around Tuscany and haven’t given up trying to find our apartment — we might be hiding out in a winery and refusing to leave.
- We’ve rented an apartment for a week at an agritourism we’ve stayed before. We’ll be just outside of Volterra in a beautiful country setting, enjoying the homemade wine and a few meals.
- One of our days will be devoted to the town of Volterra. While we’ve been here before our time was limited and we really didn’t get to experience it fully. If any of you have read the Twilight series, you know that Volterra was depicted in a couple of the books. We’ll be taking a walking tour at dusk one evening and I’ll let you know if we bump into any Twilight characters.
- We will also be visiting San Giminignano again. Antimo from Voomago has connected us to a local who will show us unique parts of the town. And you can be sure we will be paying attention to what parking lot we leave the car, we don’t need to repeat last year’s unscheduled tour of all the visitor parking lots.
- Wine tasting and traveling around the beautiful Tuscan countryside will fill out the week before we head back to Firenze to pick up Antimo who will be joining us for the rest of our adventure.
La Spezia is our next destination. A few of the things we will be doing:
- Visit Porto Venere during the day and sailing at dusk with candlelight dinner on the boat. I’ll be drugged and patched to help with motion sickness on the sailboat, so this should be interesting.
- We’ll also be exploring Portofino. I read about this town in the book Beautiful Ruins. Anxious to see if it lives up to what I envisioned it to be in the book.
- When we run out of things to do, or just can’t walk another mile, we have the option to lay on the beach and relax. Okay!
Castello Chiola will be where we will be staying for a few days. The link takes you to an article on the castle. I wonder if I need to pack my jewels and crown? Looking around the castle for a few days, I’m sure there will be a memento I’d like to bring home. I think I’ll be able to find space for that suit of armor. Some of our adventures will include:
- Day trip to Penne.
- Visit to town of Loreto Apruntino and a cooking class (yah!)
Next, on we go to Lake Bracciano for a few days. We’ll be checking out another castle (I’m sure I need to bring at least a tiara for these castle visits) – Castello Odescalchi in the Lake Bracciano area and relaxing around the lake. Well someone has to do it!
Our Italian adventures end in Roma. We’ve visited many of the major historical sites before so will be checking out the Mercato Testaccio and taking in the Roman ambiance before returning home.
We hope you will join us for our day-to-day escapades!