While writing my cookbook “From Vine to Table: The Unexpected Joy of Zucchini’s Magic” I was experimenting with ways to eliminate some of the liquid from zucchini. One method that I tried was to use a potato ricer and push the zucchini pulp through it. Truth be told, I didn’t think this method worked well but it gave me another idea. Cutting zucchini into rice sized pieces to use in recipes. And that did work with the help of a food mandolin.
I tried two different settings on the mandolin to julienne the zucchini (you could also zoodle the zucchini if you have a device or tool that creates zoodles). One size created larger french fry sized zucchini sticks and the smaller julienne setting created the size I wanted. From there I chopped the zucchini into rice sized pieces.
Chop remaining vegetables.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
Drizzle a good balsamic vinegar over the salad.
A great vegetarian recipe that can be eaten as is or add cheese and/or shredded chicken for a heartier dish.
- 1 cup zucchini, zoodled or julianned
- 1/3 cup bell pepper (I used mini orange and red bell peppers)
- 1 cup compari tomatoes, chopped (or equivalent with cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped (I used English cucumber)
- 1/8 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic & herb blend seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut zucchini into rice size pieces from julienned or zoodles.
- In a medium sized salad bowl combine bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and zucchini.
- In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad a teaspoon at a time and toss to combine. You may not need all the dressing as the tomatoes have juices and you don't want the salad drowned in dressing. Let the flavors of the vegetables come out by adding just enough dressing to coat them.
Nutrition for salad ingredients with dressing (without cheese or chicken added in).