The last of the garden zucchini forced me to make these parmesan sticks, yes they did! This recipe is probably the healthiest addiction I have or at least will own up to. With what’s left of the garden zucchini shredded and frozen, these last two zucchini just begged to be cut, quartered, and covered in parmesan. Or maybe it was just the voice in my head? These days in 2020, we don’t often answer that question, if you know what I mean.
Zucchini is a vegetable we eat a lot of in our house. Hubby prefers to eat his veggies cooked in breads, cookies, or cakes, however, this recipe is one he will eat. It makes a perfect snack, side dish, and also makes a great appetizer (even if your guests don’t eat “green” things). I’m not sure how these hold up as leftovers because they’ve never lasted more than a day around here.
So, sharpen a knife, and let’s begin!
Cut and quarter the zucchini into manageable pieces. I cut the zucchini in half crosswise and then sliced each half into sticks. I tried to keep the sticks similar size for consistent baking, but some pieces turned out smaller than others. It didn’t seem to make a big difference once everything was baked.
Oiled and coated with parmesan mixture – ready for baking. Be sure to spray the rack with cooking spray or the zucchini might stick.
Cooked and ready to eat crisp-tender. Use a spatula to easily remove zucchini sticks from the baking rack.
No dipping sauce necessary for these zucchini sticks. These disappeared before I could open a bottle of sauce, pour it into a dipping bowl, and serve it – sooo save yourself the trouble. They are fabulous by themselves.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into sticks
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted garlic sea salt Durant
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- PREP: Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Spray a baking rack with nonstick spray and lay it into a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place zucchini in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat all pieces.
- In a separate bowl, prepare parmesan coating by combining parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, and garlic salt.
- Dredge the zucchini slices in the parmesan coating and place pieces on the baking rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then broil for 2-3 minutes or until zucchini is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.