What chili ingredients are most important to you? The meat or the beans? And if it’s meat only, which type of meat? Ground beef, ground turkey or some chunk cut of beef that simmers well and adds enormous flavor? If you are vegetarian or prefer the bean only chili, that opens up an entirely different conversation for a blog – not discussed in today’s post. However here are a few previous posts regarding chili that are vegetarian-adaptable (bean only) you might enjoy What The Chili Is Going On Here or Chili For A Chilly Day.
Even though we are heading into summer, chili is still a popular meal. This time of year people use it more as a side dish to bar-b-qued meat items for dinner, poured over omelets for brunch, or spooned over hot dogs for lunch. Back in the dating days, hubby and I would stop by Charlie’s Chili in Newport Beach, California at the end of our date (anywhere between midnight and 2:00 am) and order their famous chili cheese omelet. Those were the days! However, I noticed on their website that now they are only open until 9:00 pm.
This chili recipe is one of the quickest and easiest I’ve ever made, and leans heavily towards healthy.
Meat and onions sautéing in fry pan.
Spice up meat mixture.
Add salsa to meat and simmer a few minutes to seal in the flavors. Ready to serve!
Chili garnished with avocado hummus, green onions, cheddar cheese and sprinkled with corn kernels. I also added chopped tomato (after photo).
- • 1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
- • 1/4 medium white onion, chopped
- • 2 green onions sliced
- • 1 tsp ground cumin
- • 1 tsp ground coriander
- • ½ tsp ground cayenne (optional)
- • ½ tsp garlic powder
- • ½ cup prepared salsa (I used Tostitos Medium or make your own)
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm the spices in a medium saucepan.
- Add white onions and ground beef and cook through.
- Add salsa and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish (optional): green onion, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, lime, cheese, sour cream, corn, peppers
- Approx. nutrition info per serving: 229 calories, 9g fat, 2.25g net carbs, 33g protein