Have you run out of ways to fix chicken? Face it, chicken is very versatile and can be adapted to many types of recipes, but sometimes you just want to try to do something different with it. This recipe helps you break out of your chicken rut and delivers bright flavor combinations with brandied onions and peaches.
We try to eat in season as much as possible. Right now, in mid-summer, onions are ready for picking from the garden and peaches are ripe and juicy. So they make the perfect ingredients to enhance the chicken dish for today’s post.
I wanted a Balsamic Vinaigrette for this recipe to marinate the chicken. Instead of purchasing a bottle at the store, I decided to make my own and so glad I did. This vinaigrette is far superior to anything store-bought and only takes minutes to make.
- 1/2 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Whisk ingredients together, adding salt and pepper as needed. (I sprinkled a very small amount salt and pepper.)
- Bottle dressing and refrigerate. Shake or stir before using.
- 51 calories per tablespoon
Now we can get to the main recipe. And why not kick it up a notch with a little brandy? I couldn’t think of an excuse NOT to add brandy so I did! And adding brandied peach jam complemented the chicken perfectly.
Served over bucatini pasta. Also good served over rice or orzo.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Brandied peach jam (see link to recipe below)
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Marinate chicken for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Grill chicken on BBQ or a grill pan over medium heat about 4-5 minutes per side.
- In a frypan heat a drizzle olive oil over medium heat and add onion. sauté for about 5-6 minutes or until soft.
- Add brandy to onions and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve chicken, topped with brandied onions and peach jam.
- Brandied peach jam recipe at: https://christinasfoodandtravel.com/peach-brandy-jam/