Some movies are destined to become popular and ultimately classics that live on in the minds of movie goers. “It’s A Wonderful Life” is one of those classics that is revisited every Christmas time and quotes from the movie are shared over and over.
“When Harry Met Sally” is another movie that falls into the classic category. How often have you heard this line from the movie repeated, “I’ll have what she’s having”? The famous scene where this line originated is remembered by all who enjoyed the movie.
This quinoa vegetable salad is simple and easy to make, as well as nutritious and tasty. And it is sure to spark that same line “I’ll have what she’s having” when any vegetable lover spots it on your plate or table. You may even convert a few people to like their vegetables a little more!
Rinse the quinoa before cooking to get the grit off the grains. Put in a pot with chicken stock or water to cook. I use chicken stock to give the quinoa more flavor.
When cooked, the quinoa has absorbed the liquid. Fluff with a fork.
Shred vegetables. I used spinach, carrots, zucchini and garlic. Use your favorites if these don’t appeal to you.
Mix quinoa and vegetables together.
Add tomatoes, green onions, and feta cheese to top off the salad.
- 2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 leaves fresh basil chiffonade cut
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and dash of good olive oil (or use a vinaigrette dressing if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bring broth and quinoa to boil in saucepan on high heat; simmer on medium-low heat 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool before adding into salad ingredients.
- Once cooled, mix quinoa with spinach, carrots, zucchini, green onions, and garlic in large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and cheese to quinoa salad mixture.
- Stir in dressing and serve.