28 September, 2016
When You Have Lemons, Make Limoncello
Italians love their liqueurs. Limoncello is one of my favorites. Several times a year I make a few batches for myself, friends and neighbors. Fall is a great time to make Limoncello to have on hand for the holidays and giving as gifts. My recipe is from Southern Italy, the Sorrento area.
- • 6-8 lemons (depending on size)
- • 1 bottle grain alcohol (do NOT use vodka)
- • 5 cups water
- • 3 cups sugar
- Peel lemons with potato peeler (like you would peel a potato). Put peels into large glass container and cover with 1 bottle grain alcohol. Cover tightly and store in cool dark place for 1-2 weeks. Swish ingredients every day. Color should look like strong pee when ready.
- Cook 5 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar in pan until sugar is dissolved. (use more sugar if you like it sweeter). Cool to room temperature. Pour lemon peel mixture into sugar water and stir. Then strain into bottles. Should be thickish. Freeze in glass bottles.
- Limoncello is best kept frozen until you want to drink it.
With the lemons leftover, squeeze and freeze juice to use in other recipes. I use an ice cube tray to freeze the lemon juice.
And what else can you do with Limoncello besides using it as an after dinner drink? If I want to kick a recipe up a notch, I use it in place of lemon juice. Check out these options:
- • ½ cup limoncello
- • ½ cup lemon juice
- • ½ cup sweet and sour mix
- • ½ cup vodka
- Mix together and serve.
- • 1 package lemon cake mix
- • 1 package lemon instant pudding
- • 4 eggs
- • ½ cup water
- • ½ cup canola oil
- • ½ cup limoncello
- Mix together and put into bundt pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake 350° for 40 minutes.
- Cool, loosen slightly from sides, invert into cooling rack or serving platter.
- Can sprinkle with powdered sugar or make a glaze of 2 cups powdered sugar and ¼ cup limoncello. Poke holes into cake and drizzle glaze over it.
- This cake is so easy and a favorite among my friends. Can be made in bundt pan, bread pans for pound cake, or cup cake pans.